Monday, March 7, 2011

Personal Response on Sleeping Beauty

In the three stories of Sleeping Beauty, Sun, Moon, and Talia, The Sleeping Beauty In The Wood, and Brier Rose, I see more than one message being sent to the readers. However, there is one that sticks to me in particular more than the others. Leaving aside the one story, Brier Rose, because of how short it was and because of the Grimm Brothers lack of expression when compared to the stories revealed by Basile and Perrealt, I think there is a corresponding moral found when looking at the character of the cook. This cook, in both stories, refuses the opportunity to gain recognition from the Queen herself when looking into his heart and finding that future torture and devistation of inocent lives is not worth self reward. When I see these moments of dignity and courage performed by the cook, it brings me back to my childhood. Growing up, my parents always impressed upon my siblings and I that there is no glory in being the bully. My dad always said "stick up for the weeker person, the underdog." Ever since very young, there has been an engravement in my head making permanant this code of ethics i have learned from my mother and father. When i see people torture, hurt, abuse other people, it just makes me think what happened to these people to make them so cruel that they misinterpret the ultimate fulfillment of life of just being a good person and have to resort to abuse of another human being to gain satisfaction. I like how in these two stories, Sun, Moon, and Talia, and The Sleeping Beauty In The Wood, there is man like my father, like who i have grown to be, who stands up for what he truly believes. In the end he is truly rewarded with the gratitude given forth by the King. I take away this important message that in being a good person, day in and day out, and making it a part of who you are, you will find a more real, ultimate, warm satisfaction at the end of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Robert-- this is a great. I love it when I see RRs that sort of focus on the smaller character that makes a huge impact on the story! Good observation. I also like how this resonated with you and your personal life. You're right-- we don't just learn our lessons from the prince, princesses, in these stories-- we learned them from the other characters as well. The cook (and your father!) gives us a very important model to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot! These thoughts immediately came to my head when i crossed those parts of the stories. P.s. Im Steve....Im sure just a careless mistake hah

    ReplyDelete